Monday, June 3, 2013

City of Women by David R. Gillham

This is a book about the Second World War in the city of Berlin.  I found it very interesting since I visited the City of Berlin when I was 18 years old in 1986.  The wall was up.  We went through Check Point Charlie and stayed in a hotel in Berlin and saw the bombed out city before there was much repair done to it.

This was definitely not a cheerful book to read and I wouldn't have normally read it had I realized how sad it was and how horror-filled.  I think the situations described are entirely possible.  Having seen the city in 1986, I think it is possible life was really as it was described in the book.  Sigrid does seem unrealistically lucky and abnormally intelligent and able to conduct herself under terribly horrible circumstances.

There were bright spots, such as when Sigrid's husband lends her a hand towards the end of the novel and when Sigrid helps her friend.  I would hate to live as described in the novel and I hope I never have to.  Although, sometimes office politics reminds me of the atmosphere in this novel.  This book would be rated R if it were a movie.  I don't want to read about horrible things like this.  I would give this book a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment