Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Home Another Way by Christa Parrish

I found Home Another Way by Christa Parrish more entertaining than most books.  It seemed like a Christian novel, but the ending wasn't as tidy and predictable as I would have thought a Christian novel to be.  The main character was also more risky than I would have thought a Christian writer would have portrayed.  I suppose it is more realistic though.  The way Sarah Graham lives her life and questions situations is, perhaps, how a lot of people really would go about doing things when invstigating their own belief in God.  I don't know how she got away with her behavior at times and why everyone was so kind to her, but perhaps I can see it, especially if the town loved her father even though he is said to have murdered his wife, Sarah's mother.

The description in the novel was unusual to me.  I'm too tired right now to look them up.

And sentences seemed to need periods such as the ending part of the following sentence towards the beginning of chapter 22 which states, "...keeping my passenger-side tires in the snow, for traction, I hoped."  There seems to be a period in need after the word "traction."  Also the sentence shortly after the previous one which states, "I jammed my foot down, spun to the right, jerked the steering wheel to the left." strikes me as a comma splice.  I don't know if it is the author's intention for this to happen and I don't get it, or if grammatical errors are throughout the novel.  It seems the latter.

However, I enjoyed it and the unusual descriptions that made me in some way uncomfortable, like they were forced, or too thought out and strategically placed instead of a natural flow of the novel, did help and worked in aiding me to understand the picture a bit better of what it was like there in the small town of Jonah.  I would give this novel a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment