Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Stepmother by Diana Diamond

I thought that this book was OK.  I'm not sure if I would have read it knowing there was a court case in the book as I find those extremely tedious and I don't want to spend my leisure time stressing about it or even thinking about it.  This was, again, an extremely unlikely situation.  But those situations are appropriate in a novel I guess.  It's fiction, so why not enjoy it.  I wish the characters were a little more involved.  I would have liked to have been more attached to them and cared about them.  The book was entertaining though.  I read The First Wife and I found it very similar to The Stepmother in the various fantastic attempts on the heroin's life. Like the first book though, it was entertaining enough to keep reading. It wasn't as good as The First Wife though because, probably, of my dislike of court cases in novels.  That's so boring. I wish the characters were developed more and were more engaging. Instead of constantly relying on physical attempts of death on the person, I would like to see more moral angst. "Angst, often confused with anxiety, is a transcendent emotion in that it combines the unbearable anguish of life with the hopes of overcoming this seemingly impossible situation. Without the important element of hope, then the emotion is anxiety, not angst. Angst denotes the constant struggle one has with the burdens of life that weighs on the dispossessed and not knowing when the salvation will appear." Urban Dictionary online. (I know I'm not using proper anything in my blog, but no one reads it anyway!)
I would give this book a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment