Monday, April 7, 2014

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

I thought this was the best book in the Ugly Series by Scott Westerfeld because the story was tidy and had a happy ending. Everyone ended up with a conclusion that was satisfactory to me. A Kicker (person who writes stories that get published online) named Aya Fuse sets forth to obtain popularity, which earn her merits in her society, which merits allow her to buy things like nice clothes, larger place to live, and any other luxuries she may want. This is how her society is organized, by popularity merits.

Tally Yongblood, a heroine from the previous three novels, plays a part in Ayas adventures by joining in towards the middle of the novel and saves Aya from dangerous situations which arose out of the popularity she gained from a story she "kicked" regarding people who she thinks may be aliens who are stealing metal from around the world. Aya thinks these people might be planning another war which could possibly end the world.

This young adult/teen science fiction novel was pretty good for me. I liked the clean writing and the interesting story line. Usually I am not that entertained by science fiction, but the Ugly series, including this book seemed to have been able to hold my attention. This was a good book. I would give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment