Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Journey's End by Josephine Cox

I wasn't really reading this novel for grammatical errors or problems with sentence structure or anything of the sort, however, I recall being slightly repelled because of these issues.  It wasn't too prevalent and I can't think of any at the moment, but I remember encountering some situations of it.  I'm sure I'd have the same issues, although much much worse if I tried to write a novel, which I fully intend to do... some day.  It's so easy to sit back and critique something, but doing the work is another matter.

I was overall not impressed with this book.  The reason I forced myself to keep reading it was that I was isolated in a different country (Canada... four hour trip from my home... heh heh) and while my daughter was in ballet school at Royal Winnipeg all day, I wanted to have some options in my free time, despite the fact that free time was limited as I was watching my 6-year-old as well.

The beginning of the book had chapters that didn't gel together in any way for me.  The accent was annoying and I thought, somewhat fake, however I am not so attuned to Scottish accents.  I found the occasional dialect of European words to be somewhat fake and the storyline was unbelievable to me, however, about half-way through the book I did become engaged in the story somewhat and I actually began to enjoy it.

An elderly woman reminisces about her life and ends up taking a trip from America to Europe (I think it was Scotland) to bring to a head all the secrets and past life experiences for herself and her friend.  In the process, her life is threatened and people become upset.

I guess this book would be a 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment