Sunday, January 12, 2014

Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Although this book wasn't, for me, "...impossible to put down..." (Lost Angeles Times), I did find it interesting enough to read.  I think Piper Kerman's experience in jail was probably not like most people's experiences because of her race.  I think she may have had it easier.  It was still jail though, and it could have been worse if she had a horrible personality.  I think Piper's integrity and behavior played a large part in how her jail experience was regardless of race, but race helped I suppose.  I can't tell exactly, but she mentions in her memoir often that it did help.

I like how human and respectful she is to all the other inmates.  I've always thought that it was bizarre that people were all of a sudden treated as if they weren't human when they were in jail.  They are still human and they made mistakes, just like all of us.  I think she's right in that we need to change a lot regarding who goes to jail and how they are treated once there.  Someone who murdered someone else and crimes along those lines are different from fraud for example.  I enjoyed the book enough to read it and I am glad Piper is working toward helping people in prison.  I think I should help as well.  I think this book was worth the read. I don't like her hard left attitude (politically speaking) and I'd give this book a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment