Monday, January 13, 2014

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I was impressed by the quality of writing in this novel and I was secretly ashamed of my own lack of skill compared to this author.  A sixteen year-old girl named Hazel has lung cancer and falls in love with a boy who has bone cancer.  The boy ends up using his Wish from Make a Wish or some organization like that to fulfill Hazel's wish to travel to the Netherlands to meet a reclusive author of one of her favorite novels and find out what happens to the characters in the novel's abrupt ending.
What really helped me enjoy the novel was the unexpected twists and original story-line.  It was very unique.  The traditional and normal reactions were dealt with regarding what one would expect when one is dying a slow and painful death of cancer, however, the twists in the story made it very original.  The humor was very well-placed and amusing. The pain the parents had to deal with and how the friends felt were covered adequately as well.  I would give this novel a 9 1/2 out of ten. Very enjoyable.  I hope I can write as well some day.  I'm already almost 46 though, so I don't know, but anything's possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment