Monday, December 8, 2014

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Really good biography. I got a bit bored in the first half of the novel after Louis Zamperini joins the military and the minute descriptions of B-52s and how they fly etc. I don't care about it, but I liked the opening of the book about how Louis was as a child and how he fared in the Olympics.

For me the novel really picked up when he was lost at sea in the Pacific Ocean and as a POW. It was very violent though, and I can't stand reading about torture. Horrendous how he was starved and beaten repeatedly by the Bird and other Japanese captors.

I enjoyed how he maintained such a positive attitude in the end and I find his life inspirational. I think people would be better for reading this book. It teaches history that isn't taught in school and is important to know. It teaches the importance of forgiveness. It teaches the evils of war and the dark nature that lies within humans to inflict on others. I think it was great that the USA won over the Japanese in a huge way. I don;t like dominating anyone else, but I think freedom is extremely important. I am very impressed with the author. 9 3/4 out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment